You can now share your trials and tribulations, layout progress, photos/videos and tips and ideas and chat with friends and thousands of other model railway builders.
As Model Railway Engineer.com has grown, I’ve been pondering how to let fellow modellers share their tips, ideas and layout progress reports more easily. It’s something I get asked about a lot and I’ve been wanting to do for the longest time but have struggled with a suitable format.
At last, it’s sorted.
I’ve considered opening up this website to allow others to upload articles and photos but for security reasons ruled that out. I take security very seriously and although creating an upload facility on the website would be the most obvious solution, doing so introduces a lot more risks to the site that I wasn’t prepared to countenance.
I also thought about traditional forums but felt these were too limited and, to be honest, a bit old-fashioned.
In the end, I’ve opted for a social media and a Facebook group.
My reasoning is being:
- Photo sharing: You can upload photos and videos quickly and shared on Instagram easily,
- Ease of use: It’s easy to use; sharing and commenting is second nature to anyone already on Facebook (and let’s face it, who isn’t),
- Plays nicely with my FB page: It integrates well with the existing Model Railway Engineer.com Facebook page which already has a staggering 9,000 followers,
- Reliability: It has Facebook behind it so reliability and availability won’t be a problem (which can be an issue with forums),
- Security and anti-spamming: As you can’t get to it without a Facebook account it won’t suffer from spamming and bot posts that plagues many forums admins. It also means you don’t need to keep and remember yet another login.
It’s obviously early days yet but already many modellers have joined and shared their work.
So why not join me and other modellers in the Model Railway Engineer community. It’s a safe, family-friendly community where you share your progress, problems and successes, photos/videos of your layout and trains, ask for help and chat with other model railway enthusiasts.
To do so, just head over to FB and search for the Model Railway Engineer Builders community; click on the Groups tab on my Facebook page if you already follow me or simply click on this link and hit the ‘Join’ button.
See you there.