If you’re just getting started with model train railways – perhaps with a train set or starter pack from Hornby – I’ve put together this collection of how to guides and articles.
The guides are all written with a beginner in mind and are written in an easy to follow, jargon free, format and designed to get answer your most common questions.
- How to make a Christmas snow diorama with a model train
- What magic is this? How do I get working bicycles on my model railway?
- How to join and solder wires for the most reliable connections
- Make your own foliage
- Changing Track – How To Alter Already Laid Track
- How to make bushes
- How to make your own stone bridge. What do you think of mine?
- A simple, cheap and effective technique to removing paint from plastic models
- How to make your own trees, a new technique
- Model Railway Beginners Q&A: How to connect more power leads to a model railway set
- Static grass applicator – which is best, applicators reviewed and rated for 2018
- How to model water on your railway
- How to make your own buildings
- How to make your own grass
- A Quick Guide To Setting Up A Hornby Model Railway
- How Much Space Is Needed for A Hornby Train Set
- 5 Ways To Make Your Train Set More Interesting
- How To Get A Hornby Train Set Without Breaking The Bank
- How To Expand Your Hornby Model Train Set — The Best Track Expansion Kits
- Model Railways: What do you need to get started
I’d also recommend picking up a book on building model railways. There are a number of very good ones available from which I’ve learnt so much. Here’s my recommended reading list of model railway books.
PS, If you liked this, join over 25,000 model railway fans and sign up now to get my unique guides and tips. It's completely free, you can unsubscribe at any time and I promise to never spam you.
"Awesome stuff. I will be using your site a lot, for tips and ideas." @MuddingtonIII