18 Things Only A Model Railway Enthusiast Will Understand – What’s Your Score?10 comments 3 months, 21 days ago Fun 10 Comments No tags
You know you’re a model railway enthusiast when…
Let’s have a little fun. Run through these 18 things and award yourself one point for each you’ve done or do.
See how your score compares at the end.
1. You look at things in your house and immediately think of a use for them on the layout. They strangely disappear a few days later.
2. When your colleague at work offers you a sweet you dispatch the model train on the train track that you’ve set up between the desks to collect them. Hat tip to Mr Tim Dunn who gets 2 points just for being himself.
— Tim Dunn (@MrTimDunn) December 1, 2016
3. You can’t ride on a train without making mental notes of things to add to your layout.
4. You spend more than 20 minutes contemplating the right spot for a building on your layout, moving it millimetres at a time.
5. The kitchen sink isn’t dirty. It’s paint and glue from your brushes.
6. Your eBay watch list is full of locos in the hope they’ll go unnoticed and you’ll get them cheap. They never do.
7. You hurt your foot from stepping on something… It’s a track pin rather than Lego. Take two points for sympathy if you’ve done this.
A few LEGO trains to keep you entertained (well, it works for me!) pic.twitter.com/V7TulLCrOx
— Bricks McGee (@TheBricksMcGee) December 2, 2016
8. Ssshhh! You’re quietly pleased when your significant other says they’re going out this evening. Train time! This, of course, never applies to me 😃
9. Even better… Your better half says you can “play with your trains” as they’re going out. (Minus one point if you don’t get the hoovering done too!
10. On a visit to a friend they take you to a station as a surprise. You regale them with precise details of who built it, when and the history of the lines that run to it. They just stare at you.
11. The toilet is blocked. It’s mod-roc plaster.
12. Sunday morning and you’re fishing through the hoover bag to find the little figure that got hoovered up by accident.
13. You find wagons in your pocket. At work….. I still get odd looks from the company restaurant manager since I tried to pay with for my cappuccino with £4.50 in coins and an N gauge GWR brake van.
14. It’s 2am. You can’t sleep. You’re working on your layout
As a railway modeller the things I get up to when I can't sleep. Rather than just lay there I did something productive pic.twitter.com/xLucfng0Bh
— jim coates (@jfcrail) December 3, 2016
15. You know more about the trains and rolling stock than the staff at your local station.
16. Your gin tastes odd because you’ve just put the paint brush in the wrong glass.
17. Gin, paints. Thinner?… Extra point if it’s Hendricks.
18. Out shopping with friends. You pass a model shop. 10 minutes they realise you’re not with them any more. Two points if they know you well enough to leave you there until they head to the pub.
So, did you beat my score? 19. Go on embarrass yourself 🙂